Pages

Monday 5 May 2014

Duckweed





I have a small pond with a few happy fish and an itinerant population of frogs from time to time. For a couple of years, I have had duckweed growing on the surface, and find an almost sensual pleasure in gathering the bright green mini-plants into my hands to form wet clumps to add to my compost bin.

I know how it came to be in my pond. One Mother's Day, my eldest daughter gifted me a bucket of copulating frogs which had a few tiny duckweed plants in the water. I am not complaining; it was and will always be the most memorable and interesting Mother's Day gift that I have ever received, and neither the fish nor the frogs are bothered by the duckweed.

The botanical name for duckweed is Lemna Minuta, and in the right sunny conditions, the mass of plants can double in size every 2-3 days. Domestic ducks, coots, moorhens, turtles and grass carp will eat it. It is possible to buy supplies on Ebay for your pet turtles. If you live nearby, just knock on my door and you are welcome to collect your own, free of charge!

Weeding it with a rake or by hand is the best option if the growth is too profuse. Apparently, if you grow watercress, it will stifle the duckweed. I might try this. I am very fond of watercress.

Chemicals are too toxic for the gardener to use, though there is a product which consists of bacteria( which alter the proportion of nutrients in the water) that is available to purchase. I am not sure that my fish would be in favour of this remedy. Since the duckweed acts as a haven for small water creatures, and control is impossible, I would recommend living with it and learning to appreciate this amazing little plant.

There is an International Lemna Association which is exploring commercial uses for duckweed, including using it in animal feeds, sewage treatment, and to remove toxins from water. There are even videos on the internet to show you how to grow it. Guys! It is not that difficult! All you need is a small pond and some sunshine!

I love to see the frogs poking their faces out of the mass of green weed, looking at me sideways, wearing duckweed on their heads like a tarnished crown. Thank you, Louisa, for that gift!
 

1 comment: