Pages

Tuesday 19 November 2013

Reminiscences on being brought up as a Methodist in Dublin









This photograph shows the outer facade of the Centenary Methodist Church opposite St Stephen's Green in the centre of Dublin. It was designed by Isaac Farrell and completed in 1843.

My childhood memories are inextricably entangled with this building. I can find no contemporary photographs of the interior but I remember it as having dark wood pews, smelling of furniture polish, and a balcony extending around the back and sides of the building. At Christmas there was always a tall tree with bright lights and boxes wrapped in festive wrapping paper piled beneath the branches. The youngest children would be brought to the front, clutching their mother's hand, to sing Away in a Manger during the Christmas morning service.

Some of my earliest memories relate to attending services here. I recall a service when I was present with my mother and father and younger brother. I believe my brother would have been about 3 or 4 years old and had brought some of his favourite model cars to play with. Usually we sat at the back of the church, as a family, in a designated pew. On this occasion, far from playing quietly , my brother was noisily pushing his cars up and down the hymn rest. To my immeasurable embarrassment, the minister singled him out during a reading and asked him to be quiet.

My grandfather had a life-long service to the Methodist Church and for most of my childhood acted as one of the 'welcomers' at the front of the church. This entailed leaving home a bit earlier. He drove in his remarkable old Humber car which we as children  adored. It was the greatest treat to be allowed to travel with him to church and help place hymn books among the pews as the church was opened up on Sunday morning. Being of a shy disposition, I would hover in the background, watching my grandfather shake hands with the members of the congregation as they arrived.

Both my parents were very musical and enjoyed singing in the church choir. My mother had a beautiful soprano voice, and I have clear memories of her singing solos during some of the services. The biggest event of the year was the annual performance of Handel's Messiah. It was a long-held tradition that this would be sung every year in December and it was the highlight of the choir year. Both my parents sang in it and it was a huge privilege to be deemed old enough to attend the lengthy evening performance, well past my bed-time. I would follow the words and music from a full score copy, excited by the rich harmonies and the unusually packed building with the balcony seating opened up, brightly lit for this special occasion.

During the normal Sunday services, the children would file out before the sermon  and go downstairs to the Sunday School class rooms. Many of the children were in school uniform as the boarders from Wesley College attended. Boys and girls were together, split into different age groups and the teachers followed a clear syllabus leading up to confirmation classes for the older children. Parts of the catechism had to be learnt by heart. It was quite intimidating at times for a shy young girl, not used to sharing a classroom with boys.

Everyone looked forward to the Harvest Festival supper. This was a well organised affair with food, craft stalls and games for the children. Grandmothers and mothers would have knitted  for months previously; baby matinee jackets, scarves, gloves and other small items were all put on sale for the Missions Overseas. A flurry of baking activity would take place in the days before the supper. Old fashioned games such as pin the tail on the donkey, musical chairs and beetle drive for the older teenagers all took place with crowds of excited  young children running around.

All this came to an end abruptly in December 1968. The congregation arrived on a Sunday morning for the traditional carol service only to find the church smouldering, having burnt down the night before. The facade remained virtually untouched but the entirety of the building behind was devastated. I can recall the smell even today, and the shocked and horrified faces of family and acquaintances. I was sixteen at the time, not quite adult. Traumatised by this event, I can recall pouring my feelings into a poem. The poem is long since lost, but I believe it was read at a service, introduced as having been written by a young member of the congregation without mentioning me by name. I heard it said later that the care-taker had been responsible for the arson attack, and that he was standing among the crowds that morning, watching the fire brigade and onlookers to gauge their response.

That cold morning we were welcomed into the Wesley College Memorial Chapel which was  next door to the smoking building. Many were in tears and it was with difficulty that the familiar Christmas carols were sung. I think I grew up that day, the security of the warm encompassing community shattered, never to feel quite the same again.

 
http://www.methodistcentenary.ie/history.html

CP Nov 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment