Pages

Tuesday 8 October 2013

Apology to a grapevine



When I became your owner, I resolved to care for you, despite having no skills in viniculture. You are probably much older than I am, well-established as you are in your Victorian greenhouse.

Next-door's tabby cat likes to sprawl on top of the seed cabinet beneath your green canopy, and the occasional bee or butterfly ventures into the greenhouse to enjoy your verdant growth. A young robin practised nest building this year in the seed cabinet when I had inadvertently left the door open, but soon gave up, leaving an untidy bundle of leaves.

I have no idea what variety of vine you are. I asked several people including two landscape gardeners, but none of them knew. You have distinctive globular shaped grapes hanging in loose bunches, pale green and sour to the taste; unlike your companion vine with its tight bunches of deep purple, sweet flavoured grapes.

Last year, I treated the scale insect infestation which was affecting your gnarled old branches. I wonder if that treatment might also have halted the damage to your main trunk caused by a variety of woodworm.

A few years ago, I made wine from your grapes. It was a sweet, syrupy drink, not unlike Spanish fortified wine. It was surprisingly good, but not at all like the kind of wine I was expecting.

There are very few bunches of grapes on your branches this year. The spring was cold and there were few insects about to pollinate your tiny flowers. I now know that I should have used a small paint brush to hand pollinate them. I will be more attentive to your needs and will not neglect this task in the Spring of next year. I hope that you will reward me with a more abundant crop as a result.
 
October 2013 CP

No comments:

Post a Comment